We are excited to be launching Immunity Edition, a totally unique immunity supplement combining 8 powerful and proven ingredients that work to comprehensively nourish and support the immune system. Below we've explained how it works, what's in it, and why it has such a positive impact on our immunity and beyond. unique
Can you explain what the Editions range is?
Super-powerful and focused, each of our Editions have been carefully blended to target specific areas with a select few key ingredients (rather than the 50+ found in the Formulas).
You can take our Editions standalone for a little boost, or for even better results, combine alongside our comprehensive Formula range for a little extra support in certain areas (The Editions target everything from energy, sleep, mood and skin to PMS and menopause).
They are simpler products than our Formulas, but similarly only contain the highest quality, chemical free ingredients that work to systematically balance the body and bring it to it's optimum and most powerful state. Depending on the product, these ingredients include premium vitamins & minerals, herbs, botanicals and antioxidants, as well as medicinal mushrooms, and as always, we combine the best of science and nature.
How does Immunity Edition work?
Our immunity is one of the most complex systems in the body, with a vast array of different reactions occurring at every moment to keep us healthy and protected. We hear a lot of chatter about ‘boosting’ immunity, but actually the immune system works at its best when it is in balance. Our immune system works to protect us against things that can be potentially harmful, without overreacting, or reacting to things that aren’t harmful such as foods, dust, or pollen. As with everything, a healthy body is a body in balance and this is totally essential for a healthy immune system; especially as our immunity is so interconnected throughout the body, having especially close links with the gut, as well as our adrenals (we all know that being run down and sleep deprived impacts our immunity). We wanted to create an immune support supplement that works deeply to help encourage a balanced system, and so we’ve brought together eight super-nourishing, scientifically proven ingredients that provide 360degree support for your immunity - unlike any other immune products available:
- Vitamin D - one of the most widely research nutrients for immune function, vitamin D modulates this vital system to strengthen our defenses** and reduce inflammation. Low levels have been shown to contribute to respiratory disorders as well as an array of other health problems. Also vital for the health of our microbiome.
- Elderberry extract – A source of vitamin C**, A** and antioxidants, all of which help to strengthen immunity and may help the body fight against contagious bugs. Elderberry has been used traditionally to help ease the symptoms of common seasonal sniffles and coughs.
- Zinc - essential for a wide array of body functions, being especially important for normal immune function** where it is required for the production of T- cells, a type of white blood cell that protects the body from viruses and other foreign invaders.
- Andrographis – an Ayurvedic herb, known as the ‘Indian Echinacea’ that contains active constituent andrographolides to help protect the immune system against seasonal sniffles. Research shows improved reactions to viruses and colds (1).
- Vitamin C - Long been relied upon as an effective immune booster, vitamin C is an incredibly nourishing nutrient for the whole body. Supports an array of critical immune functions** including macrophage activity, which helps the body fight off foreign invaders. A great supplement to add in when feeling run-down, or simply to help keep the body strong.
- Olive leaf extract – a rich source of polyphenol antioxidants, in particular oleuperin, which has been shown in studies to help reduce the number of sick days taken (2), helping the body get back to fighting fit. Olive leaf extract also has the benefit of nourishing antioxidant properties.
- Reishi mushroom extract – known as the king of mushrooms, reishi has been found to contain 400 bioactive compounds, including immune-supporting ‘beta-glucans’. One of nature’s most nourishing foods and has long been used in Chinese medicine to nourish the whole body, helping to build a strong constitution. Also shown in research to reduce inflammation and moderate our immunity (3, 4) to help it better fight against bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens. Also a prebiotic, to aid gut health.
- Lactospore® probiotics - our microbiome form a key line of defence against the onslaught of foreign invaders and help the body fight against infection. You can read more about how the gut and immune system are linked below.
**Vitamin C, A, and zinc contribute towards normal immune function.
Why is supporting the gut important for immunity?At Equi we believe that true results come from supporting the whole body – and the immune system is no exception. Probably one of the most important things for our immunity is the gut. In fact, these two systems are completely intertwined… a healthy gut really is central to a healthy immune system. It is even estimated that the gut represents 80% of our immunity (5). Much of this is situated in the Gut Associated Lymphoid Tissue (GALT), a complex organ that helps the body determine what is safe, and what is potentially harmful to us. It contains a vast array of immune compounds such as B and T Lymphocyte cells and macrophages, that are ready to whip into action if needed to help us fight viruses and bacteria.
The gut environment, and crucially our gut bacteria, play a key role in regulating the GALT, as well as many other important immune mechanisms. They also produce an array of compounds that can potentially kill off harmful bacteria, as well as filtering toxic or damaging materials (6). This helps to improve our resilience, discourage excessive reactions, and ensure our immunity reacts appropriately. Our diet has a huge impact on the diversity and strength of our microbiome and in turn the health of the gut.
Today it is commonly perceived that most bacteria is generally ‘bad’ for us, and we should do what we can do anti-bac our environment. The recent Covid-19 pandemic has also hugely increased our exposure to anti-bac, (with good reason) as this can help stop the spread of the virus. However, we should remain conscious of our gut microbiome, which is reliant on a healthy regular intake of diverse, ‘healthy’ bacteria. Consuming food rich in live bacteria has been shown to help, as have probiotic supplements, which is why we include Lactospore® probiotics in Immunity Edition, as well as vitamin D, which has been shown to support a healthy microbiome.
How can mushrooms help our immunity?
There is evidence that mushrooms (sometimes referred to as 'medicinal mushrooms') such as reishi have been used medicinally for around 6000 years across the world. Much modern research has shown that they have an array of impressive actions on the whole body, particularly on our immune system. Amongst an array of other beneficial natural plant-based compounds, they contain polysaccharides rich in beta-glucans, which can have incredibly nourishing impacts on the whole body. Found to have immunomodulatory activity (4) (think of this as a balancing and supportive impact on our immunity, helping it to work at its best) they may help our immunity by inducing interferon activity, which in turn helps the body to fight off viruses and other foreign invaders. Reishi is also a prebiotic, helping to encourage healthy gut flora, contain anti-oxidants, and have adaptogenic activity on our stress systems, which help to build overall resilience.
How long should I take Immunity Edition for?
You can take Immunity Edition if you’re feeling under the weather for short term support, but also if you feel your immune system could do with maintenance as you suffer regularly with colds, flu’s, coughs, infections, or other bugs. It may also be something you like to rely on during a time where you feel you may need to improve your defenses, such as when children go back to school in Autumn, or during the winter cold season. We generally suggest that this product should not be needed for more than 5 months and it should never replace a healthy diet. At Equi we believe that to improve your long-term immunity, it is essential to improve your diet and manage stress. You can read more about this here.
Can you take Immunity Edition with other Edition products (Beauty Oil Edition and Glow Edition)?
Yes absolutely, they work brilliantly together and really complement each other.
It’s designed for immunity, but are there other benefits?
Yes, like all our products, Immunity Edition works to support the whole body. It may have particular benefits on other systems such as the digestive system, stress systems (adrenals) as well as our energy production, cardiovascular system. It is also very nourishing for the skin and may have anti-ageing properties.
Can you take Immunity Edition with your other Formulas (Beauty, Lean and Original)?
Yes, Immunity Edition works really well with all Formulas. To find out more about which our of products can be taken together, click here.
Is it safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding?
How do I know which product is best for me?
You can click here for a guide to help you choose the best product for you.
I have an autoimmune condition or another immune problem, can I take Immunity Edition?
We would not recommend Immunity Edition if you have an autoimmune condition, and anyone who has a diagnosed condition, takes medication or is unwell should speak to their GP before taking any of our supplements.
Is it vegan?
Yes, it is fully vegan.
We are so sure you'll love taking Immunity Edition, we'll give you your money back if you don't*. T&Cs apply
- Hu XY, Wu RH, Logue M, et al. Correction: Andrographis paniculata (Chuān Xīn Lián) for symptomatic relief of acute respiratory tract infections in adults and children: A systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS ONE. 2018;13(11):e0207713.
- V Somerville, R Moore & A Braakhuis, The Effect of Olive Leaf Extract on Upper Respiratory Illness in High School Athletes: A Randomised Control Trial. Nutrients. 2019 Feb; 11(2): 358.
- Nahata A. Ganoderma lucidum: A potent medicinal mushroom with numerous health benefits. Pharm. Anal. Acta. 2013;4:10. doi: 10.4172/2153-2435.1000e159.
- Xin Wang, Zhibin Lin (2019)Immunomodulating Effect of Ganoderma (Lingzhi) and Possible Mechanism. PMID: 31777013
- G Vighi, F Marcucci, L Sensi, G Di Cara, & F Frati, Allergy and the gastrointestinal system. Clin Exp Immunol, 2008 Sep; 153(Suppl 1): 3–6.
- Schuijt T.J., van der Poll T., Wiersinga W.J. (2012) Gut Microbiome and Host Defense Interactions during Critical Illness. In: Vincent JL. (eds) Annual Update in Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine 2012. Annual Update in Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine, vol 2012. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.
Disclaimer: As with all information on Equi London, this information is not a substitute for medical advice. No one diet or supplement regime works for everyone and you should always seek help from a GP and registered health expert before making changes to your diet, or before introducing any supplements.